In most cases, the mobile devices of research participants will be setup to work well with the PIEL Survey. However, there are also some device types that default to settings that will prevent the PIEL Survey app from working properly. For this reason, we recommend that all research participants verify that their settings are correct.
This page provides some general instructions of the settings needed for optimal use of the PIEL Survey. You can choose a brand below for more specific instructions.
Please note that at this stage we do not support the use of Oppo devices for scheduled surveys. The Oppo software overrides the normal behaviour of Android and can result in delayed receipt of notifications. We have not blocked download onto Oppo devices as some users may find that behaviour acceptable for non time-critical surveys. Furthermore, such behaviour does not limit the use of run once surveys.
1. Make notifications prominent
To maximise the chances of a notification being noticed, we suggest you make notifications more noticeable using the following settings.
- Turn on sound and vibration.
- Make sure the volume is loud enough to be easily heard.
- Set the priority to "High".
- Allow banners to show on the locked screen. The notification does not show the survey name in case it is sensitive.
2. Protect from Battery Optimisation (Android only)
Some Android devices can limit the functionality of apps once they are in the background. The PIEL Survey app is not a power intensive app but sometimes this is the default setting for new apps. The PIEL Survey app must be excluded from battery optimization. Please see the more detailed examples on specific devices of how to do this.
For some Android brands such as Xiaomi, OnePlus and Oppo, there is one more step. If you have one of these brands, it is important that the PIEL Survey app be left in the background (and therefore in "Recent apps"). These brands offer a feature to "Lock" an app in "Recent apps". If you have an affected brand of phone, we strongly suggest that you use this feature to reduce the chance of accidentally closing the app. If you accidentally remove the app from the "Recent apps" list, please restart the app as soon as possible. The PIEL Survey has a feature that renews the notifications when you restart the app in these phones.
3. Email Setup
An email account must be setup on the device with a valid email account if you want the results to be emailed. On Apple devices, you must use the Apple Mail app. On Android devices, you can use your preferred mail app. Most email apps make this process very easy.
There are some user actions that can affect the behaviour of an app, including the PIEL Survey app. Most device users will know to avoid these actions. Specifically, while a survey project is underway, participants should NOT:
- leave the device in "Do not disturb" or "Quiet" mode during survey periods unless you have exempted the "PIEL Survey" app from being blocked.
- uninstall the app
- force close the app from Settings
- delete data of the app from Settings
- disable Notifications or Battery Protection of the app
- swipe the app from "Recent apps" (only applies to some Android brands such as Xiaomi, OnePlus and Oppo)